The Leapfrog Group named Mercy Health Saint Mary’s to its annual list of Top Hospitals at Leapfrog’s Annual Meeting on December 3 in Arlington, Virginia.
“We are honored to be distinguished as a 2013 Top Hospital by The Leapfrog Group,” said Bill Manns, President of Mercy Health Saint Mary’s. “This award recognizes the quality care and dedication our staff bring to our patients and community each day. I sincerely thank them for their work and expertise that have garnered us this recognition from The Leapfrog Group.” One of Only 90 in Country (0r 55 Urban)
“The field of hospitals’ considered for this year’s elite Leapfrog Top Hospital distinction was more competitive than ever. By achieving the Top Hospital accolade, Mercy Health Saint Mary’s has demonstrated exemplary performance across all areas of quality and patient safety that are analyzed on the Leapfrog Hospital Survey. If my family or friends needed care, I’d be comfortable sending them to Mercy Health Saint Mary’s,” said Leah Binder, President & CEO of The Leapfrog Group.
Mercy Health Saint Mary’s was selected as a Top Hospital out of a record number of 1,324 hospitals participating in The Leapfrog Group’s annual survey. The list includes 22 Top Rural Hospitals, 55 Top Urban Hospitals and 13 Top Children’s Hospitals. Hospitals reaching this achievement include academic medical centers, teaching hospitals, children’s hospitals, and community hospitals in rural, suburban and urban settings. The selection is based on the results of the Leapfrog Group’s annual hospital survey, which measures hospitals’ performance on patient safety and quality, focusing on three critical areas of hospital care: how patients fare, resource use, and management structures in place to prevent errors. The results of the survey are posted on a website (http://www.leapfroggroup.org/cp) open to patients and families, the public, employers and other purchasers of health care.
As a 2013 Top Hospital, Mercy Health Saint Mary’s met the following standards for safe, high quality care:
• Preventing Medication Errors
• High-risk surgeries and procedures
• ICU Physician Staffing levels
• Received an A on the letter grades publicly reported at the time of the Top Hospital public announcement, which comes from expert analysis of publicly available data consumers can access.
• Achieved a Value Score of 79 or better as calculated through Leapfrog’s Hospital Recognition Program. The value score, a numerical value from 0 to 100, is a combination of quality and resource use, with quality weighted more heavily in the calculation.
• Meets the Leapfrog Committee qualitative requirements for overall excellence, which includes a review of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and other information publicly available on the hospital.
• In general, Mercy Health Saint Mary’s embodies the highest standards of excellence worthy of the Leapfrog Top Hospital designation.