A free pilot program for the West Michigan community, ubiQUITxt offers support for smokers through the use of text messaging technology. As an evidence-based tobacco cessation support to help smokers quit smoking anytime, everywhere, ubiQUITxt offers the following amenities for its users:
- Easy web-based or cell phone-based text messaging sign-up
- Encouragement to set up a quit date
- Cessation support two weeks prior to quit date and for six weeks following the user’s quit date
- Interactive messages that feature questions and quizzes to promote engagement with the program
- Keyboard-based support (like CRAVE, MOOD or SLIP)
- Text HELP for more information and STOP to unsubscribe anytime.
Through the end of October 2013, the greater Grand Rapids area is one of only four communities nationwide selected to participate in this pilot program, funded by the Schroeder Institute at Legacy. If the institute receives positive results from this pilot program, ubiQUITxt could potentially be used as a cessation tool nationwide.
“ubiQUITxt is aimed at the younger generation of smokers, or for anyone who elects for privacy as they try to quit tobacco use. And it’s free, so the users have nothing to lose by trying this program,” said Laura VanHeest, who oversees Tobacco Free Partners in West Michigan. “The younger we can get someone to quit, the better the health benefits will be for them. Quitting by age 30-40 reduces the ill effects by as much as 90%. Any way we can reach out to tobacco users in a way that would be effective for them, we are eager to try it.”
Ways to Enroll:
- Online here:
- Text QUITNOW to 616.818.0770
- Call Tobacco Free Partners for more info at 616.685.1411.
Text messaging rates may apply, depending on the user’s cell phone plan.