The Urban Platter, our renovated cafeteria, opens on Monday, December 8, 2014!
Located in the same place as the former cafeteria, now our patients, visitors and staff can enjoy the renovated space, known as The Urban Platter. The color scheme was chosen with the help of our designer Meeghan Mooney from Progressive AE and our very own Chief Nursing Officer, Liz Murphy.
A dedication ceremony was held on Thursday, December 4, led by Father Ayub Nasar, and attended by Nutrition Services leadership and hospital leadership.
Fr. Ayub blessed The Urban Platter with these words: “May this be a welcoming place, where hospitality and excellence abide.
May this be a place of compassion, where understanding and acceptance abide.
May this be a place of healing, where body, mind and spirit unite…
May all who have been served here leave, having experienced more deeply the love of God through our actions and behaviors.”
Some changes to anticipate:
Menu and pricing changes:
Pricing will include a mix of both high and budget friendly options.
- Fresh fruit, yogurt and toppings bar
- Stone hearth pizza oven
- Expansive soup and salad bar
- Traditional favorites
- Top 10 hot Panini sandwiches
- Made-to-order cold deli sandwich
Notable changes to infrastructure of The Urban Platter:
- An expansion that holds an additional 50 more seats, and may be available for gatherings
- Outside dining tables will be added on the patio this summer.
- SmartPhone recharging stations available along tile booths.
• The display table listing menu choices was moved outside the entry way to maximize flow once inside.
- The flow has been swapped. Guests will enter where the exit used to be.
Green initiatives for The Urban Platter include:
- A water bottle refill station is added upon exiting to encourage water as the best source of hydration between meals.
- A recycle station for paper upon exiting.
- Promoted use of permanent ware. You will be encouraged to use:
o Heated plates for entrees and chilled plates for salads
o Permanent bowls for cereal, fruit and yogurt, soup and chili
o Trays are available but less prominent, as they create additional ware washing but are needed in 60% of the time.
o A $.10 discount on dispenser beverages if you use your own clean cup
o Bulk condiments at each of the 3 end caps where microwaves are also located
Mercy Health Saint Mary’s Nutrition Services staff would like to thank the architects, construction staff and food trucks who did such a great job of supporting our team in making this a successful transition and new café. We’d also like to thank senior leadership for approving the capital for such an amazing dining space.